Sign up to Wool.com and create your own personal wool hub.
Shearers and woolhandlers are central to the success of the Australian wool industry and the proficiency and expertise of shearers and woolhandlers is an important focus for the industry.
Providing free training for novice, improver and professional shearers and woolhandlers we work to promote best practise in wool harvesting through our regional coaching program and extensive training resources.
Since 2015, we have facilitated close to 4000 shearer and wool handler training days to 17,000 people, delivered through AWI-funded programs.
Stand and Deliver - Shear-Jitsu training videos
Shear-Jitsu a shearing technique developed by Pera Davies. After suffering a number of back injuries Pera began incorporating the technique of Ju-Jitsu – a form of martial arts – with his shearing and found that this prevented shearing injuries, especially with the catch-and-drag movement.
AWI works on behalf of the wool industry to fund training for improver/professional shearers and wool handlers, and improve delivery of all funded training to novices and learners.
We have produced the following series of training videos to help advance the skills of novice, improver and professional shearers and woolhandlers. Good training is essential for new and experienced people working in shearing sheds. The aim of these videos is to promote better techniques and improve clip preparation practices in the industry.
The videos cover all aspects of wool harvesting and are a complete reference guide for shearers, woolhandlers and shed hands, woolgrowers, instructors and students working in various areas of wool harvesting.
Packed with tips, hints and practical advice, the videos include interviews with experienced shearers, woolhandlers and wool classers.
- The Long blow - position and control
- The Long blow - Instructions
- The Long blow - Demonstration
- Neck and shoulder - position and control
- Neck and shoulder - instructions
- Neck and shoulder - demonstration
- Belly - position and control
- Belly - instructions
- Belly - demonstration
- 1st hind leg - position and control
- 1st hind leg - instructions
- 1st hind leg - demonstration
- The neck last side - position and control
- The neck last side - instructions
- The neck last side - demonstration
- The last side - position and control
- The last side - instructions
- The last side - demonstration
Multi Angle Guide
ROUGHNECK BOTTOM SIDE
ROUGHNECK TOP SIDE
CATCH AND DRAG
CRUTCHING - EWES
CRUTCHING - WETHERS
CRUTCHING - LAMBS
GETTING A START
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
ARRIVING AT THE SHED
Picking Up & Throwing
Industry Points of View
Superfine Clip Preparation
- The Five Pillars of Shearing - flip booklet outlining shearing principles and positions (PDF 3.7Mb).
- The Four Pillars of Wool Handling - flip booklet outlining wool handling principles (PDF 2.12Mb).
Pillar posters for the woolshed
- Are you getting a cut? - poster guide to grinding and sharpening combs and cutters (PDF 3.9Mb).
- The Five Pillars of Shearing - poster outlining shearing principles and positions (PDF 745Kb).
- The Four Pillars of Wool Handling - poster outlining wool handling principles (PDF 868Kb).
Pillar Posters - order a free set of the three Pillar Posters for your own shed:
- Call the AWI Helpline on 1800 070 099.
- Download the Pillar Posters order form (PDF 89Kb), complete and fax it to AWI at (02) 8295 4155.
Code of conduct woolshed poster
- Call the AWI Helpline on 1800 070 099 for a free A2 size poster
- Download (PDF 173Kb)
AWI/SCAA learning videos 2020
Back to Basics - Grinding tips with Pope
Back to Basics - Grinder Setup with Nathan Fidler
Back to Basics - Grinder Setup with AWI Trainer "Pope"
Mel Morris and Rachael Hutchison - Part 1 - Sport Shear Australia Wool Handling Competition Tips
Mel Morris and Rachael Hutchison Part 2 - Sport Shear Australia Wool Handling Tips
Mel Morris and Rachael Hutchison Part 5 - Sport Shear Australia Wool Handling Tips
Next Level Elite Athlete Mentoring with Stewart McCully - Part 1
Next Level Elite Athlete Mentoring with Stewart McCully - Part 2
Sportshear competition tips - Part 1
Sportshear competition tips - Part 2
Sportshear competition tips - Part 3
Sportshear competition tips - Part 4
Setting up Emery Papers with Nathan Fidler and little helpers
The videos are also available to shearers, wool handlers, trainers and woolgrowers from AWI on a free USB by calling AWI on 1800 070 099