Sign up to Wool.com and create your own personal wool hub.
World’s first Merino wool boardshort
- Surf legend Kelly Slater's brand released the world's first Merino wool boardshort, in partnership with The Woolmark Company.
- The partnership drives new opportunities for Australian wool, opening new markets as wool return to swimwear.
- The board short uses the innovative OptimTM fabric, co-created by AWI and Nanshan.
Lifestyle brand Outerknown - the brainchild of surf legend Kelly Slater and designer John Moore - has worked with The Woolmark Company to create the world’s first boardshort crafted from 100% Australian Merino wool.
Developed and certified by The Woolmark Company, Outerknown’s Woolaroo boardshort hits the surf, with a strong environmental mission. Using the latest OptimTM spinning techniques, Merino wool fibres are pre-stretched and spun into yarn before being woven to create the fabric used in Outerknown’s Woolaroo. The innovative fabric - co-developed by The Woolmark Company and The Nanshan Group - then super contracts creating a highly compact fabric and the ‘jammed’ weave structure delivers a resilient handle able to withstand surf conditions. Made entirely out of nature’s original performance fibre, Merino wool’s natural benefits come into their own in the world-first Woolaroo. Naturally breathable and resistant to odour, the Woolaroo is quick-drying and wind resistant for post-surf comfort and the fibre’s natural softness and drape offers freedom to move in the waves and on the sand.
- World’s first 100% Merino wool boardshort
- 25% sell-through in only first two weeks
- Sold into 10+ retailers
- More than 4 million social impressions
- Featured in more than 10 publications
- More than 65 million publication reach
- Woolaroo launch was largest event at Kelly Slater’s Surf Ranch and was the number one item sold that day