Monthly Market Reports
Monthly insights into economic, finance and trade issues affecting global demand for wool, and what this means for the Australian wool industry.
There are no items in your cart.
The Yarn is AWI’s podcast.
In addition to our regular communications such as the quarterly Beyond the Bale magazine, monthly e-newsletter, regular social media and media releases, The Yarn is a fortnightly audio report from across the wool research, development and marketing body.
Designed to be listened to on a smartphone for people on the go, The Yarn is put together essentially to report to those who AWI principally works for: Australian woolgrowers.
With staff and networks around Australia and offices in various locations around the world, AWI reports from across its broad scope: from the paddocks and shearing sheds on Australian farms to wool processing facilities, design studios and catwalks in the main consumer markets around the world.
If you have a question you would like to raise as part of the AWI podcast please email AWI Communications Manager Marius Cuming: email@example.com
You can download the podcast by either clicking the episodes below,
or viewing in the iTunes store here.
From AFL and rugby union, cricket, running and skiing ... wool and sport are a match made in heaven. Hear why these markets are growing for wool and the celebration of these links.
Chinese supermodel/designer visits farm
What does Lu Yan make of woolgrowing and how will this change her business?
Runway Wool – The International Woolmark Prize
From traditional Indian recycling practises to avalanche tracking NFC chip technology in water resistant wool, this year’s winners went above and beyond the judge’s expectations.
Has wool finally cracked the US market?
Hear from major retailers and their associations about why wool is winning in this vital global market and why AWI keeps them regularly informed about how Australian farmers care for their animals.
- Wool as a $20 fibre: how, why and maybe when. Hear AWI CEO speak about the future of wool.
- AWI has a new Director, how will the first woolbroker elected change AWI?
- A pasture mystery solved!!! Now science and collaboration won a pasture war.
Provenance: we hear a lot about it but what is it exactly and what does it mean for wool?
This episode explores two very different examples of provenance with two wool growers who have their wool and their wool story, sold at retail.
- Steven Read (Michell) and Louis de Beer (Cape Wools in South Africa) at Nanjing wool conference; where is the market heading?
- The coolest Japanese design and retail team; Facetasm visit woolgrowing farms for the first time..what do they make of where wool comes from?
The business of wool
- Nadia Bartel, digital fashion star and businesswoman talks wool
- Electronic tagging on sheep properties: making it work
- Woolmark Country Manager: China talks business and marketing
- Global Strategic Adviser Peter Ackroyd with a warning on the current state of the wool market.
- Shavran Reddy, Indian Woolmark ambassador comes to Australia
- Hong Kong: a fashion hub as textile centre
- Its Ewe Time: how one woolgrower is trying yo take her wool enterprise to the next level.
- Icicle: a new age Chinese brand live streaming from the farm
- Meet the US flat bed knitting company with one hell of a customer resume of those who use wool.
- Meet AWI’s new general manager of research … you may already know Dr jane Littlejohn, she is fired up about digital.
- Taking woolgrowers to retail and back … wool in its final form at the Australian Sheep and Wool Show.
- The structure and workings of AWI: it’s not personal, its business: hear it from the company secretary.
- Megan Rogers explains the game-changing lifetime ewe app .. now with iCloud.
- Tom Tourle: a young woolgrowers perspective on opportunity.
- Why classic Italian style is big in Beijing.
- Pitti Uomo in Italy: Australian wool shines and shows the way.
- A wireless farm: monitor stock and water and so cheaply.
- Educating the next wool processing specialists in China: how?
- Travel the world and follow your wool passion with Nuffield: Tim Gubbins and Merino lamb survival.
- Woolworkers run the ruler over AWI.
- AWI CEO talks next step for the Wool Exchange Portal.
- Japanese wool processing giant Itochu speaks about the huge opportunity and the threat to Merino lambs wool.
- A UK Merino producer ..what?
- AFL Legend Kevin Sheedy speaks with The Yarn about the country, but can he shear?
- Is the current wool market sustainable? Let’s hear what the experts say.
- What are market analysts saying about when to sell and when to lock in?
- The next generation of woolgrowers, what excites them about wool and sheep?
- Luxury brand Burberry speaks about Australian wool after a week long sourcing tour.
- Hear what the next gen of woolgrowers want for a profitable industry.
- AWI Chairman Wal Merriman addresses recent issues raised in Senate Estimates.
- Woolgrower groups speak after consultation.
- The world's largest sheep experiment: MLP.
- Wool in Turkey: Naturally Inspiring education day.
- From the vast Australian outback to the snow capped peaks of the Himalayas, hear how crucial Australian Merino wool is to people at both ends of the wool industry.
- Young woolgrowers returning from a tour of Chinese processing mills, what do they think of the future?
- Wild dogs: the commitment Queensland woolgrowers have to protecting their sheep flocks is amazing.
- Hear from the man who has dressed the Indian Prime Minister and Indian cricket captain in wool.
- Paul Swan explains why the Merino Lifetime productivity Project excites him so much.
- Naturally Inspiring: a leading light from London
Why is wool so good for athletes?
When selling wool to consumers, it's all about offering more. Find out why the global sports brand ADIDAS loves wool. We also head to Hong Kong to meet a hugely successful Chinese designer, who can't get enough of the world's best fibre.
If you've got any questions or stories you'd like us to answer or cover, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The wool market has started 2017 with a bang; what are the drivers in the market and can it last?
- The International Woolmark Prize; hear from the winners directly about how they have discovered wool.
- Korea, a big market for Australian wool. What new products are available there.
- Measurement is a key feature of any woolgrowing business, so how does AWI measure it’s success?
- Reaching thousands of students every year, hear from a quiet achiever in the wool education department.
- Beyond the Bale, for the first time ever, we hear from its long term editor.
- AWI Chairman Wal Merriman makes his global podcasting debut.
- Lars Ulvesund explains how and why wool has become a staple in active outdoor and sports brands.
- Bit tips on where wool prices will go in 2017 from someone very close to the action.
- Telling wool’s great story to the world: the importance of provenance
- woolgrower networks, what is their real value
- AWI CEO discusses how animal activists are combatted
- Exchanging wool online: the absolute must haves for the Wool Exchange Portal.
- President of the International Wool Textile Organisation bullish in a British way about wool.
- One of the most important people in wool you have never heard of: what do they do?
- The word from China: introducing Holly Ho
- What do woolgrowers think of AWI’s work?
- Young opportunities with the National Merino Challenge
- International Woolmark Prize winners amazed with woolgrowing
- Superfine wool amazing treatment of skin conditions
- Genomic technology fighting Luci
- AWI CEO reports on the latest news from retailers in Europe.
- Woolgrowers in Milan: why do we invest in fashion?
- WA woolgrowers succeed with novel feed.
- The fifth stand of a shearing shed: a secret to attracting the best shearers.