Sign up to Wool.com and create your own personal wool hub.
WoolPoll - Investing More For A Brighter Future For All Growers
Australian Wool Innovation Chairman Jock Laurie is urging woolgrowers to vote for a 2% levy when voting opens next Monday for WoolPoll 2021.
“There is so much work to do on behalf of growers and It is absolutely crucial that we make sure that wool is front of mind of consumers when they return to buying clothes.
Lower levy, lower volume and lower prices for wool has meant AWI has undergone fundamental change including a reduction in staff of 35%.
A lot has changed over the last three years since the levy was lowered from 2% to 1.5% including the latest Review of Performance which found “notable improvement” in AWI’s operations.
Another three years of a wool levy below 2% will be a hand brake on AWI’s capacity to work for growers.
- Standing up for wool as a high quality natural fibre when advocates for man-made fibres try and greenwash their fossil fuel derived product as somehow better for the environment than wool. AWI is fighting that battle right now in Europe as the European Union reviews its product labelling.
- On farm research with combating flystrike the number one focus.
- Training more shearers and improving the skills of the current workforce
- Tapping into consumers interested in the eco-credentials of products and we are doing more to increase people’s awareness of wool’s natural renewable and biodegradable benefits.
- Smart marketing campaigns that deliver extra sales and create long term demand for wool. A key focus will remain China, Europe, the United Kingdom and United States.
It is the right time to invest more in our industry to secure a stronger future especially given the financial challenges.
As an organisation we value every single dollar we receive from growers to act on their behalf”.
Voting for WoolPoll is open from September 13 until November 5.
There are five levy rate options for growers to consider. They are 0%, 1%, 1.5%, 2% and 2.5%.
Growers need to number at least one box to cast an eligible vote.
The WoolPoll Voter Information Memorandum (VIM) has more detailed financial information. The VIM can be found here.
Voting can be done online, by mail, email or via fax.
ONLINE at www.woolpoll.com.au
POST the Ballot Paper in the reply-paid envelope (provided in the Voter Kit) to:
The Returning Officer, WoolPoll 2021, Reply Paid A1509, Sydney South NSW 1234
FAX the Ballot Paper to toll-free 1800 211 736.
There is also a voter assistance line on 1800 990 365.
Results will be announced at AWI’s AGM on Friday 19th November.
Growers are invited to take part in a webinar with AWI Chairman Jock Laurie and Board Directors will be held on Monday the 13th of September at 6pm, AEST. Click here to register.
Contact: Kevin Wilde
Mobile: +61 436 031 277